The two main points of entry into the Junior School are at Year 3 (age 7) and Year 5 (age 9). Occasionally places do become available in other year groups and we are happy to assess children for these places.
We currently welcome up to 60 boys and girls into Year 3 each year and they form three classes of 20. Children who apply are invited to spend a day here during the Assessment Week. They take part in a variety of activities that allow them to demonstrate skills and knowledge, their capacity for learning, working co-operatively and sticking at tasks, and the attributes and qualities – not all strictly academic – that will underpin their ability to thrive at the RGS. Elements of both literacy and mathematics are taught and assessed during the day. We also ask for a report from all applicants' current schools.
Important dates for September 2017 applicants to Year 3:
- Deadline for registration: Thursday 5th January 2017 (or Friday 2nd December 2016 if applying for bursary assistance)
- Assessment Week: Monday 16th – Friday 20th January 2017
- Offers sent: Wednesday 1st February 2017
Dates for 2018 applicants will be confirmed nearer the time.
We welcome up to 12 new boys and girls into Year 5 and class sizes are increased up to 24 to accommodate the new children. During our Assessment Morning girls and boys sit short test papers in literacy and mathematics. As a second stage some children are invited back for an Activity Day which is an opportunity for staff to see children working together and also to observe the sort of personal qualities that are not visible in an exam setting. We also ask for a report from their current school.
Important dates for September 2017 applicants to Year 5:
- Deadline for registration: Friday 25th November 2016 (or Monday 21st November 2016 if applying for bursary assistance)
- Assessment Morning: Saturday 26th November 2016
- Activity Day: Tuesday 6th December 2016
- Offers sent: Wednesday 7th December 2016
Dates for 2018 applicants will be confirmed shortly.