RGS Digital Devices
‘Digital Strategy’, is the term we are using to describe our increasing use of technology to deliver and reinforce teaching and learning, and the necessary hardware – specifically standardised digital devices – needed to facilitate this in and out of school. There are many benefits that technology can bring to how our students engage in learning, organise themselves and achieve better outcomes. Similarly, technology has many uses in supporting high quality teaching. As part of this, we are engaging with AI to ensure that its power can be harnessed to positive effect.
In 2020/2021 we made an investment in the provision of Microsoft Surface Pro digital devices for all teaching staff. In September 2022 we followed this with further investment in rolling out digital devices to be issued to students. From September 2023, all student in the Senior School will be issued with a one-to-one Surface Pro and there will be shared class sets of Surface Go devices in the Junior School.
Suffice to say, we are very excited about this newest innovation and the opportunities and benefits we are confident this will deliver. I want to emphasise that our Digital Strategy is about so much more than the physical hardware; it is about the continuing evolution of our teaching and learning, making sure that we retain the best of traditional teaching, while accessing the growing technological advancements that can aide our children’s development for the 21st Century.
I also reiterate that the continued investment in student Surface Pro devices is the same as any other school infrastructure, in that the costs are wrapped up in our school fees. As with any of the school’s resources, we need parents and students to be our partners in caring for and making the best use of our facilities, a message that I am keen for families to reiterate at home.
I do hope that this introductory video about our vision and what we are trying to achieve, along with the FAQs below will prove helpful but if you do have any remaining questions or even any comments, then please do let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How will the devices be used in lessons?
- Will the device be used in every lesson?
- How will handwriting be impacted?
- How important is typing speed?
- What does the use of devices mean for the use of textbooks and paper resources in school?
- How will this development prepare students for their future?
- What might be the impact on behaviour management?
- Who owns and manages the device?
- Will my child have the option to purchase the device when they leave RGS?
- Bringing the device to and from school
- What happens if the device is damaged, lost or stolen?
- Will the devices be charged at school?
- What technical support will be given to students at school?
- Can the device be used at home?
- Can the device be used for personal use?
- Will we need Wi-Fi at home?
- Does my child still need another computer at home for school work?